Saturday 26 January 2013

Benefits of the Primatological Pursuit...

*disclaimer* I actually wrote this last weekend. I'm lagging a bit when it comes to reporting my experiences. There's so much to tell and so little time to tell it!

A benefit of working on the Samara Game Reserve and living on Asante Sana, is that we live a safari every day.  Today, we made it a legit, tourist-y safari and went out with Richie (who is a manager here and has an awesome safari vehicle) and drove around the reserve. I can't explain how lucky I feel to be here. We are so lucky to be doing field work at such a luxurious location.

Anyways, here are a couple of photos, because I think it's a good taste of what kind of day I had:


Before the safari, we spent some time swimming and eating watermelon by the pool

Kitty and Richie have a baby duck named "Keeper" who decided to swim with us.

Safari Drive

 Muddy Rhinos
All the housemates/researchers enjoying some scenery

A journey of giraffes



Every day, I'm reminded as to why I do things like this, and it's because I love being outdoors, learning about animal behaviour, I love contributing to the pool of scientific knowledge, and I love the adventure and perks that come with the job. I'm not even a primatologist or scientist yet and I've already experienced some really amazing things that come with the pursuit of this type of career. That, and I've met some really cool people along the way.

Ultimately, I had an amazing day. I can't say it enough...


No comments:

Post a Comment